13 May 2014
NEXT HOME & GARDEN EVENT AND SUPER SLEEP ADVICE
In typical style we were running late and arrived slightly soggy from the rain, but thankfully we were greeted with a hot drink and got cosy on a pocket sprung mattress ready to be filled with the secrets of sleep from author Sammy Margo of The Good Sleep Guide. F and Wilf played on the floor with their cars as I listened to the do's and don'ts checklist, making a mental note that literally everything in our room was aiding and abetting total sleep fail, and consequently adding to the designer black bags I've got going on under these eyes of mine. So here is some advice from the expert:
Top Sleep Tips
• When choosing a bed ensure the mattress is right for your body shape, women should be looking for something that supports curves and does not allow gaps under the tummy when lying down.
• A good pillow is a must. Try the broken pillow test by folding it in half and placing a trainer/shoe on it, if the pillow stays folded then your head is not being supported and it's time to invest in a new one, if it springs back then you're in the clear.
• Staying cool at night is a must to help release the hormone Melatonin and encourage a better nights sleep. By switching your duvet from a winter tog to a summer tog as the seasons change, should create a more restful night. If you're a cool person generally then think about wearing bedsocks instead of a stockpile of blankets to stop you waking in the night.
• If shutters or blinds are too expensive then invest in some blackout curtains for your room, or cheaper still, an eyemask. This has been proven to make a considerable difference in the quality of your sleep.
• Try to ensure your sleeping space is calm and uncluttered, this will help with relaxation and aid sleep.
• Find a fragrance that you find relaxing and use in your bedroom. We were given Garden Mint & Elderflower to try and I must say it has made a difference, but I think when I go to stock up I will try coconut or vanilla, channelling those relaxing holiday vibes.
• Try a sleepy snack before bedtime. Foods such as: banana, oats, almonds, lettuce, camomile tea, milk and turkey, are all great at preparing your body for a good nights rest.
• Start a wind down routine 30 minutes before sleep, we all know children thrive on a good bedtime routine so it's no surprise that adults need this too.
• Most importantly ensure your child's pillow is right for their age. Children should be using a toddler pillow up to the age of four and even then the pillow they use should be quite flat to keep their neck and spine aligned.
We were given a voucher to spend and time to explore the new store, which is brimming with beautiful things for your home and I instantly fell in love with their garden accessories department. I had made up my mind to buy some of their gold and terracotta plant pots, but F had other ideas as he headed to the kids section and promptly found something to spend the voucher on. We finally decided on this cool new duvet set for F's room which I love due to the graphic pattern and colour.
The store holds such a great product range that I can't wait to pop back and fill up my basket with goodies.
Wild & Grizzly has been shortlisted for the Brilliance in Blogging awards in the Outstanding Blog category. If you can spare a minute of your time to vote for me I would be really grateful. x
We were invited to Next Home and Garden store where we were given a voucher to spend and taken for lunch. All words and thoughts are my own.