Cookie Cutters – I used these Ikea Cutters
225g (8oz) Self Raising Flour
Pinch of salt
170g (6oz) Organic Unsalted Butter (cut into cubes)
110g (4oz) of sugar
1 Beaten Egg
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, then using the back of a spoon to rub the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. You might find it helps to do this with your hands towards the end to get the right consistency – little fingers will love to help.
2. Add the sugar, beaten egg and vanilla extract, and mix into a stiff dough. Once mixed with a spoon use your hands to knead the mixture in the bowl until it is a smooth, you can also knead it on a floured countertop if this is easier.
3. Make a ball out of the dough, wrap in cling film and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 C / 365 F and line a baking tray with baking/greaseproof paper.
5. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface until it is around 6mm thick or the thickness of a penny. Once in place cut your animal shapes with the cutters creating and transfer onto the baking tray.
6. Bake for about 12-15 or until golden. Once baked leave to cool on a wire rack.
There's nothing quite like freshly baked butter biscuits and a good cuppa to make you feel cosy during the colder weather. If you fancy making your own I'd love to see your designs, just tag me on twitter and use the hashtag #butterbiscuitfun and I will retweet your pics.
Linking in with Recipe of the Week