1tbsp of vegetable oil
2 organic or woodland farmed chicken breasts
1 onion halved and sliced
250g pack of chestnut mushrooms sliced
2tbsp of plain flour
2tsp of dried tarragon
400ml or organic chicken stock
200ml of semi-skimmed milk
1 pack of fresh puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
Heart cookie cutter
1. Heat the oil in a large non stick frying pan, cut the chicken breast into small chunks, season with black pepper and fry for 5-10minutes until golden brown. Remove the chicken and place in a dish to one side.
2. Add the mushroom, tarragon and onion to the pan and fry on a high heat for 4-5 minutes until the onion starts to colour.
3. Add the flour and stir in for one minute on low heat. Slowly stir in the chicken stock followed by the milk, ensuring all the flour has dissolved.
4. Add the chicken back to the pan and bring to the boil on a high heat then simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Spoon the mixture into a oven proof baking dish and pre-heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/Gas 7.
6. Roll out pastry on a floured surface to the thickness of a £2 coin. Keeping some pastry to one side for the heart, use the beaten egg to brush the edge of the dish, lift pastry over dish and cover.
7. With your fingers push down the pastry along the edges to seal the pie and trim any excess off with a knife.
8. Cut a heart shape from your left over pastry with the cutter and brush underside with the beaten egg.
9. Place the heart onto the middle of the pie, brush pastry all over with beaten egg to seal and place in the oven.
10. Cook for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Take out and enjoy!
I served this pie with sweet mashed potato which seemed to go down a treat. Everyone tucked in, even my dad, so all in all pretty pleased with my first pie attempt. I'd love to hear what dishes you've recently tried?
Linking in with Recipe of the Week.
Wild & Grizzly has been shortlisted for the Brilliance in Blogging awards in the Outstanding Blog category. If you can spare a minute of your time to vote for me I would be really grateful. x